You may have forgotten about the duck boat versus bus crash that happened on Aurora Bridge in September of 2015. The incident occurred when the duck boat (a vehicle that can operate on land and in the water) crashed into a bus that was carrying students and employees from North Seattle College. The crash resulted in five deaths and dozens of injuries.
Now, a jury has determined that the manufacturer of the boat was 67-70% responsible for the crash and the boat operator was responsible for 30-33% of the crash. They have awarded $123 million to the victims and their families. NTSB investigators found that the duck boat’s front axle has been broken for two years and never repaired.
At Russell & Hill, PLLC, we understand that you may not know where to turn if your loved one has lost their lives in a tragic incident that was caused by another person’s negligence. You can count on us when you need a Seattle wrongful death attorney.
What Is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death claims are made when someone is killed as the result of negligence or a wrongful act of another person or entity, such as a company or agency. These cases can be brought by the victim’s surviving family members. While these are civil cases and not criminal cases, wrongful death lawsuits are often brought in conjunction with criminal cases. We also want to point out that there does not need to be a civil case for a wrongful death lawsuit to move forward.
Today we will look at some common causes of wrongful death, though this is not a complete list. Please seek assistance from a qualified attorney when making decisions about your particular case.
- Vehicle Accidents: If a person is killed by a negligent driver (drunk, distracted, aggressive, speeding), then a wrongful death case may be appropriate.
- Defective Products: The government recall website will show you just how many harmful products are on the market, often for reasons that can cause extreme injuries and death to consumers.
- Workplace Accidents: If an employer does not provide proper training or safety equipment to their workers, they could be held liable if someone loses their life.
- Medical Mistakes: Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the country and are often the result of medication mistakes, surgical errors, misdiagnosis, healthcare-acquired infections, or a failure to treat.
- Dog/Animal Attacks: There are times when a person has an unsafe pet that causes severe harm to others.
Any time another person, group, agency, or company contributes to a person’s death, a wrongful death lawsuit can be brought by the surviving family members. In the case of the duck boat crash, we hope that the settlement allows the victims’ families to have a sense of closure to the tragedy.
Moving Forward From Here
Dealing with the loss of a loved one is one of the hardest things a family has to go through. If someone else’s negligence has taken the life of someone you love, turn to Russell & Hill, PLLC today. Our knowledgeable and experienced team will work tirelessly to secure the compensation you deserve. This can include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of future income of the deceased
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages