Seattle Personal Injury Attorney | Russell & Hill, PLLC Seattle Law Firm
Russell & Hill, PLLC, is comprised of a team of top-rated Seattle personal injury attorneys who offer outstanding legal representation to help you win or settle your case at affordable attorney fees that will NOT break the bank.
Russell & Hill, PLLC 206-880-7703 800-529-0842
206-880-7703 2150 N 107th St, Suite 440 Seattle, WA98133
425-728-7467 3811-A Broadway Everett, WA98201
360-209-7031 9414 State Ave, Suite E Marysville, WA98270
509-204-9701 1212 North Washington St, Suite 132 Spokane, WA99201
Free consultation
800-529-0842 206-880-7703

What Type of Insurance Will Pay for Damages in a Hit-and-Run Case?

Posted on September 17, 2019Posted By Russell & Hill, PLLC

All car accidents are scary, and the aftermath can leave people stuck in the complex insurance world. However, hit-and-run accidents present even more challenges to those who have sustained damages or been injured. At Russell & Hill, PLLC, we understand how these cases work. Let us investigate what happened in your case so we can get to work securing the compensation you deserve. We understand how insurance companies work and will not let you be treated unfairly. Our Seattle car accident attorneys will get you through this.

Getting in a hit-and-run accident

Washington laws require a driver to stop their vehicle if they are involved in an accident which results in an injury or death. This applies to any driver involved in an accident, whether they are at fault or not. Fleeing the scene of a crash could lead to a person facing serious charges, including Class B or Class C felonies.

However, that does not necessarily help the person who is struck by a hit-and-run driver. Auto insurance policies have several types of coverages, some of which are required and some that are optional.

In Washington, the following minimum coverage requirements apply to all drivers:

  • $25,000 for injuries or death to another person in the crash
  • $50,000 for injuries or death to all people in the crash
  • $10,000 for damage to another person’s property

Your auto insurer must offer you uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, but this type of coverage is optional. Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage will be what is used to cover you in the event you are struck by a hit-and-run driver.

If you do not have this type of coverage, you will be forced to pay for your damages out-of-pocket.

If law enforcement does apprehend the hit-and-run driver and you discover they have insurance, you can file a claim with their provider. However, if they are uninsured (which could be why they fled the scene), you are our of luck if you do not have the right coverage.

You can file a personal injury lawsuit against an at-fault driver if they have been apprehended and do not have insurance. However, if they do not have insurance, it is unlikely they have the financial resources to cover your damages.

Let us get to work on your case today

If you or a loved one have been injured in a hit-and-run accident, you need to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At Russell & Hill, PLLC, we understand that you have damages and need to be compensated. Let us get to work investigating all avenues of damage recovery so you can pay for:

  • Your medical expenses related to the incident
  • Lost wages and benefits if you cannot work
  • Pain and suffering damages
  • Loss of personal enjoyment damages

We will ensure you are treated fairly by all parties involved, including your insurance carrier. If you need a Seattle car accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 1-800-529-0842.

Click To Call