The neighborhood around 35th Avenue NE has been locked in battle lately over whether or not there will be a protected bike lane. The city has decided that there will not be one. The city says that refashioning of the street will still keep bicyclists safe. A city bicyclist lobby had been pushing for the protected lane only to face stiff opposition from businesses in the area.
At Russell & Hill, PLLC, we understand the concerns of bicyclists and are here to help if a crash happens. We will work to secure compensation for all of your crash-related expenses when you need a Seattle bicycle accident attorney.
When we look at the latest reporting year for Washington, we can see that there were thousands of bicycle crashes across the state and almost every one of them resulted in an injury or a fatality. Bicyclists have virtually no protection from the force of a vehicle slamming into them.
The average passenger vehicle weighs around 4,000 pounds. Regardless of the speed, a vehicle versus bicyclist crash can cause major injuries as a result of two impacts – an initial impact and then one with the ground. It is not uncommon for us to see the following bicyclist injuries as a result of a crash, even when the cyclist is wearing a helmet.
- Spinal cord injuries (with possible paralysis)
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal organ damage/internal bleeding
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations or amputations
When the insurance companies start calling and wanting to make a quick settlement, they rarely consider all of the costs associated with a bike crash. Consider the following:
- Emergency medical bills
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy costs
- Lost income if the victim cannot work
- Any necessary home or vehicle accommodations
- Any necessary in-home care
- Emotional and psychological damages
- And more
How They Happen
We know that many drivers simply disregard bicyclists in and around the roadway. They consider them a nuisance. That is why protected bike lanes are so valuable. So many bike crashes happen when vehicles sideswipe a bicyclist. Others happen at intersections and crosswalks when the cyclist has the right-of-way.
Drivers impaired by drugs or alcohol and those distracted by their phones or other devices are especially dangerous for bicyclists.
- 96.8% of people involved in a bicycle crash in Washington are injured (minor or major) or killed.
Moving Forward From Here
We know that bicyclist safety is not on everyone’s priority list. It seems that even extends to some business owners and even the city. If you or a loved one have been injured in a bicycle crash due to the negligent of another person, please seek legal assistance. Russell & Hill, PLLC is standing by to help.
We will work to secure compensation for the following:
- All of your medical expenses
- Lost income if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages