We Are Local

  • Airway Heights
  • Arlington
  • Auburn
  • Bellevue
  • Bothell
  • Bremerton
  • Burien
  • Cheney
  • Coeur d’Alene
  • Colfax
  • Deer Park
  • Edmonds
  • Everett
  • Federal Way
  • Granite Falls
  • Kenmore
  • Kent
  • King County
  • Kirkland
  • Lake Stevens
  • Liberty Lake
  • Lynnwood
  • Marysville
  • Medical Lake
  • Mill Creek
  • Monroe
  • Moses Lake
  • Mountlake Terrace
  • Mt. Vernon
  • Mukilteo
  • Pacific Northwest
  • Pierce County
  • Portland
  • Pullman
  • Redmond
  • Renton
  • Seattle
  • Shoreline
  • Snohomish
  • Spokane
  • Spokane Valley
  • Stanwood
  • Sultan
  • Tacoma
  • Vancouver
  • Washington
  • Wenatchee
Everett Spokane Seattle

Washington has one of the highest numbers of uninsured drivers in our country. According to statistics, about 20 percent of all motorists in Washington do not carry auto insurance despite state laws requiring every motorist to be insured.

But this is just a fraction of the problem. On the other end of the spectrum, the vast majority of those who do have auto insurance carry only the very minimum, which is $25,000 in liability coverage.

“As some of you may know, the total damages in car accidents resulting in serious bodily injury can climb to hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars over a lifetime,” says a Seattle underinsured and uninsured motorist accident attorney at Russell & Hill, PLLC.

When you get into a car crash involving an underinsured or uninsured motorist, you will most likely run into the following two challenges:

  • You will be informed that there is no way you can recover damages because you do not have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage (this type of insurance coverage is not mandatory in Washington); and
  • Your own insurance company will turn into your enemy by adopting fraudulent or dishonest measures to minimize or deny your personal injury claim.

Filing an underinsured and uninsured motorist claim

If you do carry uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, and were injured in a car crash involving a motorist who does not carry auto insurance or whose insurance coverage is insufficient to cover your damages, you may be able to file a claim under your uninsured or underinsured motorist policy:

  • Uninsured motorist coverage. You may be able to tap into this insurance coverage if you were injured in a car crash caused by a motorist who does not carry insurance. You may be able to receive compensation for your financial losses and damages up to the uninsured motorist policy limits; or
  • Underinsured motorist coverage. You may be able to get compensated for your injury if the other driver’s auto insurance coverage is not sufficient to cover the full extent of your damages.

Our experienced underinsured and uninsured motorist accident attorney in Seattle warns that you may be entitled to file a claim under the underinsured motorist coverage once the at-fault driver’s insurance coverage is exhausted.

If it seems as if you will never see the full compensation for your damages and losses suffered in a car crash caused by an underinsured or uninsured motorist, you may want to speak to a skilled car accident lawyer in Seattle.

Here at Russell & Hill, PLLC, our lawyers with more than 100 years of collective experience in handling personal injury claims will put our knowledge and skills to use to help you recover the full amount of money you are entitled to.

PIP vs. UM/UIM coverage in Washington state

In Washington, motorists have the option to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM/UIM), though neither PIP nor UM/UIM coverage is required by Washington state law. These types of coverages may cover your medical expenses and other damages if you carry either of them at the time of the collision.

While PIP is a no-fault insurance and can be used even if you were at-fault for causing the crash, you will have to prove that the car accident was caused by the other motorist in order to receive full coverage for any medical expenses incurred from the crash.

However, do keep in mind that there are very specific and strict procedures in place that must be followed by an injured party when filing an uninsured or underinsured motorist claim in Washington state. If you want to get everything right and get compensated as soon as possible without any unnecessary and avoidable delays in the insurance claims process, schedule a free consultation with our lawyers at Russell & Hill, PLLC. Call our offices at 206-880-7703.

Click To Call